Okay, if you’re not into geeky gushing gadgetry rants, leave this post now. You have been warned!
Ah, so you are interested! Well, meet the new guy in my life, my Hero. HTC Hero to be exact. It runs on Google Android OS. Open Source FTW!
How did I come to meet my new toy? Well, sometime last week, Wednesday I believe, I woke up and looked at my chunky n90 on a pay as you go contract and realised: It was time to grow up. My handbag was a mess, organisers, address books, camera, notes all scattered around. I needed saving, so I turned to my friends. Well, it helped…a little…
“Go for the iPhone! You’ll love it!”
“No, don’t turn into one of those iSheep!”
“What you need is a Blackberry!”
“You’ll turn into a crackberry!”
“That’s why choose the iPhone!”
My pupils just dilated and I pretty much zoned out of the convo at this point. I am a self confessed geek, but gadgetry isn’t my forté. At the end:
- I didn’t choose the iPhone, mainly because, well, it was only available with 02 here in the UK. And me and 02 don’t deal well together. I’m a happy Orange customer for ca. 5+ years, plus I love the 2for1 on cinema tickets on Orange Wednesdays :)
- I didn’t choose Blackberry curve or even the Blackberry bold, the latter, which I intended to walk out of the shop with, mainly because the keypad looked fiddly. Plus, they wanted me to pay for the phone unlike…
- HTC Hero, which I just got on contract: unlimited text msgs + unlimited internet = unlimited love <3 I liked the beautiful design, I liked the user friendly interfaces, I liked how I can customise it as much as a I want, define the locations for the app icons to fit my working life and…I love that it has a Sky Map App, which maps the night sky and tells me what constellations are above me. Astronomy happiness! Plus it’s stylish without going too mainstream ;)
Stuff I love most about it:
- I can assign people on my contact list to their facebook accounts, grabbing their profile photos and status, as well as access to their photo albums and profile info, great when I forgot someone’s address :)
- I have access to my flickr account, as well as that of my contacts
- I love Peep!, their twitter application. Plan to use it more often now.
- Google maps!
- Quick click away from my Gmail while I’m on the run (or on the bus as was the case this morning)
- When I take a photo on my phone’s camera I can immediately send it off to facebook, twitter, flickr or email / msg it away with just a quick click of a button
- It’s a so very pretty little gadget <3
Maybe I sound n00bish and this is so blasé to all you iPhone ppl, but the fact that I brought cake to the office to celebrate Swiss National day, took a pic of it with my new phone (with it’s little swiss flag and all) and then sent it off to my various network sites made me giddy with the possibilities. So in conclusion, I’m not an iSheep or a Crackberry. I’m an Android!